USA Boxing logo
Wednesday, March 13, 2013 marked the beginning of a new era for USA Boxing as Dr Ching-Kuo Wu, President of the International Boxing Association (AIBA), formally approved all of the recommendations proposed by the USA Boxing Reform Committee.
The Reform Committee was established following a period of turmoil within USA Boxing involving the October 2012 suspensions of its former President, Hal Adonis (two years), and USA Boxing itself (three months).
Over a period of a number of months, the Reform Committee, under the chairmanship of Mr Richard Meade, undertook a thorough and exhaustive process of review, discussion and consultation resulting in the presentation of a detailed set of recommendations to AIBA for approval.
Some of the key recommendations include:
- Adoption of new Bylaws to improve the governance structure of USA Boxing. Key to this is the formation of a new 10 person Board of Directors comprised of two Athlete Directors, four Independent Directors, one LBC Director, one Affiliate Director, one General Membership Director, one AIBA Director. Five of the 10 would be appointed by an independent Nominating & Governance Committee;
- Reform of the rules of USA Boxing to bring them into line with AIBA rules;
- Focus on increasing the number and competence of boxing coaches in the USA;
- Development of new revenue streams with a focus on sponsorship and marketing;
- Reorganization of USA Boxing headquarters;
- Increased emphasis on women's boxing and providing for the participation of at least one woman at Board of Directors meetings.
President Wu, in approving all the recommendations, congratulated Mr Meade and the other members of the Reform Committee and thanked them for all their efforts over the past number of months. President Wu also complimented Dr Charles Butler, current USA Boxing President, and his staff for their contribution to the successful reform process. President Wu noted that the reforms, if implemented, would enable USA Boxing to elevate boxing to a top position within US sports.
The next step of the process will be the presentation of the new Bylaws to the current Board of Directors of USA Boxing for approval and, if adopted, the dissolution of the current Board and the establishment of a new Board.
Note: The USA Boxing Reform Committee was comprised of the following individuals: Mr Richard Meade (Chairman), Ms Mikaela Mayer, Mr James Beasley, Mr Bob Nicholson and Mr Terry Smith.
Copyright © 2013 AIBA http://www.aiba.org